Knabe "Mignonette"

rufy at rcn.com rufy at rcn.com
Sun Jun 1 19:58:21 MDT 2008

Dear List,

Somebody here has a Knabe Mignonette from 1936 (ser. no. 117140)-- this is a
tallish console which does not really fit in the mold of console nor studio
upright. In my 34 years in piano servicing I've never seen another one like
it. It's very elaborate (and I think attractive) in its case and well-made
throughout, and in excellent condition. I've serviced it for over 13 years
and I can say it holds tuning and regulation very well.

I realize that's not a great description of the styling or the wood finish
but I haven't seen this in a year and I'm not so good at describing those
elements anyway. Don't have a way to put up a picture, although the current
owner could get me one.

Anyway: the current owner needs to dispose of it and asked for my help in
coming up with a price and a way to market it. I told him it's a very
unusual piece and I'm baffled. Normally you would say any "console" from
1936 was worth approximately $0.00. But this thing is a beautiful piece and
quite a creditable piano, all original but with a lovely tone, very even
throughout the scale. Seems to me it might be worth several thousand $$ to
someone who does professional interior decorating of expensive apartments,
or something of the kind.

I'm putting this out there on the off-chance that there's someone reading
this who might have previous experience with this model and possibly might
know if there's some obscure market for it somewhere. Or if anyone out there
has any suggestions about how best to market such a thing. eBay, perhaps?

The piano resides near Amherst, Mass. I'd be grateful for any responses or
comments.

Thanks,

Joseph Giandalone, RPT
Conway, MA