Old Erard

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jul 30 10:00:27 MDT 2008

Hi folks,

I've mentioned on here before, an old Erard I tune. As you can see from the
pics and the number, the design lagged well behind the technical
developments of its time.

Three or four tuning pins are quite loose now. As the coils are close to the
block, there is limited scope for judicious and supported hammering further
in.  I'm therfore thinking the three or four loose pins would be good
candidates for CA treatment - a "minimal interference" approach.  Do you
concur?

Also, I'm going to clean the soundboard, which should not be too arduous as
it's straight strung.  What might I use to touch up and disguise the
scratches on the soundboard?  Would the original soundboard finish be hard
white varnish, or french polish?  I will opf course point out most carefully
the existence of the scratches before starting the cleaning!

I will send the pics in more than one email as I think the file size would
be too big.

Best regards,

David.