VS profelt and glue adhesion, follow-up

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 23:32:22 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:51 PM, <piano57 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder what there is out there in the world that would make new bushings
> not stick?  Could it be some other lubricant that someone used on the old
> bushings, or maybe a concoction used for removing old bushings?
>
> Anyway, I'd like to test a lot of different products--anybody want to make
> suggestions of chemicals I should try?  E-mail me privately if you wish.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> near Peoria, Illinois

> From: jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
> > Following up on a thread  that was "key bushing miracle stuff".
> >
> > It was suggested that VS Profelt would negatively effect subsequent glue
> > adhesion.
> >
> > I like the stuff, so I decided to do a test.
> >
> > I just finished making a new set of custom buttons.  So I milled a couple
> of
> > extra mortises,  painted VS-Profelt directly into the mortise and the
> felt
> > shoulder contact areas, saturated the wood with the stuff.  24 hrs later
> glued
> > in some felt as usual (hot hide) with extra felt sticking out of the
> mortise so
> > I could get a handle to pull on, set the caul and waited overnight.
> >
> > Tested the glue joint by trying to pull the felt out of the mortise.
> Viola!  The
> > glue joint held beautifully, and was stronger than the cloth itself.
> picture
> > attached.
> >
> > Jim I
> > --
> > Jim Ialeggio
> > Grand Piano Solutions
> > advanced soundboard and action redesign
> > www.grandpainosolutions.com
> > Shirley Center, MA (978) 425-9026

Hi Barbara,

You might want to try that "Squeak Douse" liquid graphite, Schaff pg.155
I've seen a lot of keys and action parts nearly drowned in that stuff! Also
paraffin and mineral oils. I've heard of them being used for other things so
who knows?
Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com