Lost Motion

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 23:22:39 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:17 PM, <johndelmore at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> > It is not uncommon to perform a top action regulation on pianos and
> musicians
> > requiring top performance.
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jon Page
>

> Hmmm...at first, I thought you had simply been typing too fast...but, then
> again...we've ALL known some musicians who would benefit from a top action
> regulation...
>
> LOL!
>
> JD

Hi Matthew,

Yamaha's and most other Asian made pianos, even those that were made here,
have a tendency to "lose" their lost motion during the humid months. In
schools where they are not dehumidified and are subjected to ultra humidity
in the form of masonry construction, cement floors, cement block walls clad
with brick, I have found the hammers 1/4" to 1/2" off the rail!
I long ago abandoned the fight of cranking the capstans down in early fall
only to crank them back up after the onset of heating season. If I had done
that twice a year for 25 years on those pianos they would be spinning in the
holes by themselves by now!
For my high school classroom pianos, I shim the hammer rail forward with
small pieces of self adhesive name board felt and back down only the very
worst of the high capstans. This makes for a very close hammer check until
the heat comes on when I return, to re-tune and remove the shims. I've been
doing this for 25 years, with several directors, never a complaint unless
I'm late getting back after the heat's on! <grin>
Mike
--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com