Buckskin

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:21:27 MDT 2008

If the "someones website" is Bill Spurlock, yes that's a good way to
proceed. Hot hide glue was THE glue in piano construction (with a bit of
burnt varnish to adhere felt to iron plate). It does take a bit of skill and
practice to use it well. Various other glues have been used as recent
decades have marched along. Many of those glues are excellent in
applications where there's no chance that repair is necessary after the
initial assembly. A bit of moist heat, or a rubber hammer, and disassembly
is easy and the old hide glue is easily removed w/ a scraper. Many of the
"other" glues are a very royal pain to disassemble & properly clean up for
repair & reassembly.
So yes, hot hide glue is a "best choice" but I can't pretend it's the "only"
way it's done.
There are several excellent articles in the PTJournals on glues (one of them
in a series by Del Fandrich). You *should* have the past 26 or so years of
Journals' articles on hand in CD format (available from the Home Office).
Patrick