VS profelt and glue adhesion, follow-up

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 27 18:43:10 MDT 2008

Following up on a thread  that was "key bushing miracle stuff".

It was suggested that VS Profelt would negatively effect subsequent glue
adhesion.

I like the stuff, so I decided to do a test.

I just finished making a new set of custom buttons.  So I milled a couple of
extra mortises,  painted VS-Profelt directly into the mortise and the felt
shoulder contact areas, saturated the wood with the stuff.  24 hrs later glued
in some felt as usual (hot hide) with extra felt sticking out of the mortise so
I could get a handle to pull on, set the caul and waited overnight.

Tested the glue joint by trying to pull the felt out of the mortise. Viola!  The
glue joint held beautifully, and was stronger than the cloth itself. picture attached.

Jim I
--
Jim Ialeggio
Grand Piano Solutions