Fw: Action on the slide

Alan Forsyth noodles at oodles.orangehome.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 15:39:58 MDT 2008

Okay you guys, too many questions to which I don't have answers. There was not enough time to snoop inside the action as it was 7-00pm already. (Festival time here in Edinburgh at this time of year). Besides I spent too much time trying to get a decent temperament out of the beast which left me a bit frazzled!

It's an Eavestaff Minipiano "Miniroyal" and the action was made by Schwander. The serial no. does not tie in with any reference but I suspect this piano is circa 1975. I can only surmise that they cut all the flanges to an angle that would match the slope of the hammer beam, which is easily enough done, and each drop wire is a different size. The piano stands only 3 feet high. (The lengths man will go to just to save a few inches!). The frame looked suspiciously like aluminium but I didn't have a magnet on me to test it. Next time I am called back I will investigate further, but it appears this will be one of those once a decade tunings as the owner declined to have those burst hammers repaired using the excuse that he never uses those low down notes anyway. I may just knock on his door next time I'm in the area.

And to Jack "the man who always wants a piece of the action" Wyatt, if you have broadband I can send you the full file size of the photos if you want them. (3MB)

Thanks to all for showing a healthy curiosity.

AF