"non" knuckle to Jack Regulation

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 12:44:01 MDT 2008

Thank you to those who responded to this question.

After looking at the pictures referenced and reading the posts and archives,
I am not sure if what I have here is what is being described. I had my
brother-in-law take a picture of the hammer shank so that you could see how
it is made. The picture is a bit fuzzy (the camera focused on the back wall
instead of the hammer shank), but you can see that there is nothing that
looks like a knuckle built into the shank as one of the referenced pictures
shows. The shank, knuckle core and flange are all one piece of wood over
which the leather has been stretched.

Is this what was called a Thayer knuckle in some of the references or is
this a "pear" knuckle as Wim suggested?

I was going to ask some questions about the regulation procedures, but think
it might be better first to see if we are all on the same page with what is
being discussed.

Thanks again.

Rex Roseman

Roseman Piano Tuning