Baldwin bridle wires

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sat Jul 26 11:26:58 MDT 2008

    Regarding the Baldwin bridle wires that are shaped somewhat like a question mark as opposed to the traditional ones with the triangular "retaining loop,":
    First of all, they're not "bridal" wires.  "Bridal" has to do with brides.  They're "bridle" wires, i.e., a strap for connecting something to something else, such as a horse's bridle.
    Anyway, I've also encountered pianos where someone has attempted to glue the tabs to the wires.  But the vibrations and micro-shocks to the glue joint while playing eventually work them loose again.  The bridles' coming off the top of the wire is not so bad -- the piano will still play.  A worse problem is when the holes in the tabs enlarge and the bridles work their way down the wire.  Then the wippen is kept from returning as easily, and there's not enough lost motion to allow the jack to return, causing "sticking keys," no repetition, etc.
    I decided to turn the action upside down and apply a dab of rubber cement or Barge glue to the underside of the tabs.  The Barge or rubber cement seems to stick to the wire better than Titebond or Elmer's.  And the glue on the underside prevents the bridle from sliding down the wire.
    Worked great.  I don't know what else to do on these pianos.  I can't imagine that type of bridle wire was all that less expensive to make than the traditional ones.  Bad decision on Baldwin's part.
    --David Nereson, RPT