was Chc re-scl qtr grd trchd-now- GOLD plated wire.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 24 10:19:03 MDT 2008

> Gold Plated, could be. My wife's mutt will recover, Ron, so no worries.

That's a relief. Meanwhile, search "gold plated" in the archives.

> I'll send some out, just an inch or two though, it GOLD for cryin' out
> loud.

No fair scraping it off first. <G>
I bet the stuff looks really impressive in a piano. So far,
the only gold strings I've seen are those where someone has
sprayed a plate, strings, tuning pins, damper heads, and parts
of the soundboard. But I don't think that counts.

> So, a wire of a specific material, stretched to a given pitch, will be
> at a specific breaking point % regardless of it's diameter. Is this
> correctly stated? I never stop learning.
> Fenton

Not quite. Music wire of a given *speaking length* at a given
pitch will be of similar break% regardless of it's diameter.
Changing the speaking length or pitch will change the break%,
but just changing wire size won't (though it will change tension).
Ron N