String Height Gauge

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Jul 24 00:11:09 MDT 2008

Jack -
I respect and empathize with the impulse to use your digital caliper
for as many things as possible.  For example, I've been using mine in
a system for key leveling which works quite well.  There are a few
reasons why I might not be so comfortable with the application you
present, but, even apart from that, I'm having trouble understanding
the set up.  Perhaps you could supply some additional pictures (which
were quite nice) showing the bass of the gauge from different
angles.  I'm not understanding how you are establishing a zero
setting from the keybed.  Also, I'm a bit uncomfortable bringing the
end of the gauge in contact with the bass string windings...maybe a
non-issue.  You have to be careful to establish positive contact with
the wire, given the narrow width of the  and then, if you're not
taking the gauge out of the piano, you have to be bent down to read it, Yes?

An alternate application for the same purpose as the one you've
proposed occurred to me.
Fabricate or obtain a block of a precise dimension (metric or
english) - 5 or 6 inches, say.  Take the caliper and measure the
diameter of the string whose height you wish to measure. Zero the
gauge.  Place the block under the subject string, and, with the butt
end of the caliper resting on top of the string, extend the depth rod
downward to contact the surface of the block.  Add the read out to
the block dimension and the result is your string height.  I'll try
it out tomorrow to see if it really works.  Of course,  Pianotek's
digital tape (David I.) seems awfully convenient, if a bit heavy to
carry around, if memory serves.

and cheers to you
David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY