somewhat OT- Acquiring Education -- was Re: who pays?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jul 23 16:21:14 MDT 2008

The day I quit learning stuff is the day I die.

Every meeting I learn something.  Especially from the "old timers".  There
is no way anyone can learn it all!  How else are we to continue to better
this profession but to listen, HEAR, and record these bits of info our
more senior members have to offer. Those that don't are closed minded and
are unwilling to learn.. pity.....Can't teach an old dogs new tricks so to
speak.  I have several folders to hold info I come across here and in the
CAUT list.  They're always good to browse through and remind me of new for
old info I either didn't know or remind me of "tricks" to fix certain
problems. And, there's always something new!  If there is a thread on a
certain topic that I'm not working on at the time, I store it in the
correct folder for future reference.  It has, as some have said, "saved my
butt"  in many occassions. I hope, Wim, that you can encourage your
chapter members to attend meetings.....we have the same problem in
Nebraska where we have the same 6-8 people come, but there are 20 or so
members.  Distance is a factor, but, still, I used to commute 2 hours to
our Seattle meetings, including a ferry boat to attend getting home at
1am,(or later..the last boat left at 1am) so I have no sympathy for those
who say, "it's too far"..... Shame on you.  I have a family and "life"
too...It's only once a month for God's sake....

If you want to be better at what you do, then you darn well better attend
the meetings, seminars, conventions, etc. to approach betterment.  As it
has been said, since you can't acheive perfection, you should aim for that
and will approach excellence.

Best,

Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music
5 Westbrook Bldg.
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68588-0100
pwilliams4 at unl.edu

"Michael Magness" <IFixPianos at yahoo.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
07/23/2008 02:41 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

"Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: somewhat OT- Acquiring Education -- was Re: who pays?