somewhat OT- Acquiring Education -- was Re: who pays?

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Wed Jul 23 16:17:01 MDT 2008

I like your attitude!
Fenton
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Matthew Todd
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:38 AM
  Subject: Re: somewhat OT- Acquiring Education -- was Re: who pays?

  I think a lot of people take for granted the value of this list, and the fact that it is free.  The information on here is worth a lot.

  I use Yahoo Mail, and I have most of your posts categorized in folders.  There may be three, five, or twelve topics regarding "tuning pins", but they all go in one folder.  I am able to search keywords, just like the archives.  If I will be doing a brand new project on the field, I study the archives intently, and go over the steps in my mind, over and over.

  Attending the guild meetings is a great way to get local help as well, even if it's just a phone call.

  All of you guys and girls have helped me tremendously, and I can't wait to meet some of you at next years convention!  I want to bring my autograph book with me, or better yet, can you sign my tuning hammer??

  Thanks again,
  Matthew

  Willem Blees <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:
    Ron

    The Hawaii chapter has been meeting every other month since I got here last year, (The first time ever that it has ben meeting on a regular basis), but there are only 6 of us who attend meetings. I talked with one non-member the other day, and he basically stated that at his stage of development, (about the same as yours and mine), he really doesn't need to come to meetings to learn. I have been thinking of putting together a newsletter to send out to all the tuners on the island, (about 20 of them), to encourage them to come to meetings. I want to ask permission to use what you just said. Maybe it will encourage some of them to realize the importance of learning.

    On a similar note, just before he died at the age of 86, I asked my dad if he had any regrets. His answer was. "I've got so much more to learn".

    Wim