Breaking a String

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 13:57:35 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>
wrote:

> Can some of you share with me your method of keeping the string on the
> hitch pin and bridge pins while you bring up the tension?

For hitch pins, either a Vise-Grip pliers or a small spring clamp.  I use a
small spring clamp because it's in my stringing kit. And it fits about
everywhere.
For bridge pins, Pianotek has a string positioning tool that is helpful for
tight places (like right behind the key bed).  Otherwise, use a long regular
screwdriver bit such as the one that can fit in your combination handle.
 Let the string be under some tension as you're moving it, but not too much
to prohibit easy movement. If you do it with just enough slack to let you
get it into the proper position, it'll generally stay there as it's
tightened.

--
JF