Breaking a String

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Jul 23 07:52:49 MDT 2008

Yes, Mike,

I wasn't commenting because I thought it was an obvious enough example of a mistake by a technician that is INDEED the technicians responsibility.  To say we never break strings is not accurate.  If you put your lever on the wrong pin and the string breaks, you broke it.  We all make mistakes and when we do, we need to take responsibility for making it right.

William R. Monroe

  I have to disagree with "never". If you are on the wrong pin due to inexperience or lack of attention, then you did break the string and the customer should not pay to have it fixed. In my opinion of course.

  Mike McCoy
  Langhorne, PA.