very strange tuning mechanism

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 22 11:02:05 MDT 2008

> Being a tech in the Boston area avails me to half a dozen or so Screw
> Stringers.  They are very stable instruments, very easy to tune once you
> get a rhythm going .  They were designed for A 435 but 440 is no
> problem.  The one difficulty is when a string breaks.  Replacing strings
> is not too easy.
> double as a let-off regulating tool in some grands.
> Any ideas to make string changing less of a chore would be appreciated.

What do the hitch loops look like? Aren't they individually
tied? I suspect they were strung from the top down, threading
wire into the stringer first and flattening, trimming, then,
with the stringer in place and at full extension, the wire is
pulled down and bent around the hitch, locating the loop
position.

Ron N