Tuning Help

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Tue Jul 22 09:04:50 MDT 2008

I resumed my practice, but this time I am concentrating on not bringing the F45 as sharp.  It seems to have helped, a lot.

  The problem was that when I lowered the F45, and I did my 3rd/10th test, the 10th was beating slower than the 3rd, so then I raised the F45 to match the 3rd test, but then when I did my F-A, A-C#, C#-F, F-A progression, the C#-F was beating was too fast.  I think the problem was finding the fine line between tuning the F45 so it gives a pure octave that it fits in the 3rd/10th test, and making sure the C#-F third is acceptable.

  But like I said, this piano is horrible to tune, which is why I chose it.  I believe I am getting some head way though.  I finished tuning the temperament and it sounds a lot better!  There are still some issues to iron out with it, but, that is why I have friends like you.

  Yes, I am an associate member.  I am going to try my hardest to complete the tuning exam before the end of the year....before the rates double!

  Thank you!
  Matthew

paulrevenkojones at aol.com wrote:
    Don:

I agree that the exam list serve would be an excellent place for this question, but I think that this is also an excellent place for this question. I'm quite interested in what folks might have to say to Matthew to help him figure out his dilemma. It's as worthwhile a technical topic as any.

And Matthew, perhaps if you can get a grasp of beat speeds from approximately 7 for F3-A, 9 for A-C#, and 11 for C#-F4, this would help. Balancing them is the trick.

Paul