Chickering Quarter Grand Pinblock

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Sun Jul 20 11:25:45 MDT 2008

Jack! My old buddy! --- I thought you'd be out playing golf and spending all
that money you have.

You are quite right, my Chickering is a Scale 121, and it is cast in the
tuning pin area of the plate. The length is 5' 7" (+or -), is that about
right?

Jack, my NJ days in PTG are my earliest and fondest, and perhaps the most
memorable to me. I joined as a student member in '73, advanced to apprentice
and passed my craftsman rating in '75. I recall with continuing appreciation
John Holder (learned many things in his shop), Bud Willis (one of the
officiates at my first - and failed - attempts to upgrade), and, of course,
the late Charlie Huether (who nominated me for president and remained as
treasurer).  Amazing days for me. The values of hard work, good work, group
social interaction and business ethics practiced by these men became a
pattern for my life in PTG.

I must say, it is a little scary that extant publications from that "long
lost era" have been uncovered by your investigative genius! Man! Don't look
too hard. Your research, whatever that is, indicates correctly - we did have
a great chapter.

Nice to hear from you.

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild