Using sandpaper on tuning pins.

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Sun Jul 20 09:36:41 MDT 2008

MessageAl and list:
 I have never liked shimming tuning pins with sandpaper.  How ever it has always worked when I have had to use it.  The one part I strongly disagree with on this thread is the use of CA glue.  I could condone the use of CA on a piano that never stands a chance of being restrung.  I would and have used CA many times in this instance.  For a piano of any value I think twice about using CA though.  Ever try restringing a piano that has had CA used on it before?  You will have vary jumpy pins!  For all I know maybe most of you would rather put in a new block if you have to use larger pins.  Some folks are like that...  I have no problem however restringing with number 3 pins.  Un like one fellow I know, who insists that the block must be replaced if you are going to go through all the trouble of bringing the piano into the shop.  He is not against restringing in the home and keeping the same block though.  Guess I'm just backwards, I don't think I would ever want to restring a piano in someone's home...  Guess I'm straying from the subject at hand aint I?  So, all I will say is, if you or anyone is ever going to restring the piano with the same block, DON'T use CA!  If you only have one or two loose tuning pins DON'T USE CA!  If the piano is never going to be restrung (a Whitney) and has multiple loose pins, hose er down!  The stuff will work like a charm!  Just keep in mind that the future could hold consequences!

Shawn Brock, RPT