Chickering Quarter Grand Pinblock - another way.

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Jul 20 06:04:36 MDT 2008

Hi Nick:

I’ve done a number of Chickering pinblocks over the years, both the two
piece and the four piece double level ones.  I’ve tried it a variety of
ways, and Kendall’s method seems to be the least slow (notice I didn’t say
fastest – these blocks are real time eaters no matter how you do it and I
hope you charge accordingly).

The only things I would add to Kendall’s comments are to make sure that you
start by having the top piece be too thick by a reasonable margin.  I fit
the block both to the underside of the plate flange as well as to the face
flange by removing high spot marks in the usual fashion.  Then I joint
material off the bottom of the top piece until it is the correct thickness,
checking with a straight edge over the section on the bottom of the plate.
Also, it is my practice to slightly enlarge the tuning pin holes in the
plate and install the modern narrower diameter tuning pin bushings.  Adds
about half an hour and the piano will tune better.  When I am ready to glue
the two pieces together, I have drilled holes for bridge pins on the drill
press in the four corners and tap in bridge pins to use as indexes.  With
the top piece sitting in the plate, I press the bottom piece against it and
get my four marks.  After drilling those holes in the top piece, I am ready
to glue the two together, which I do outside the piano.

Because the top of the top piece is angled down, I think the multi-lams are
the better choice (other rebuilders mileage may vary).

Boy Nick, if you have gotten this far into your rebuilding career before
running into one of these puppies, you have led a sheltered life!  Here in
the Northeast, it’s usually not too long before any rebuilder has to cut his
teeth on one of these.  Chickerings for me have always been a bit of a
perverse pleasure – they really can have their charms amidst all those flaws
and overly complicated design.  The conventional wisdom here is that no two
Chickerings are alike.  That’s not quite true, but they sure changed things
a lot as they went along.  Some of those quarter grands are so narrow that
the cheek blocks are about as wide as a sliver of paper.  Always liked the
curves of the plate though.

Will Truitt