question for aural tuners

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sat Jul 19 13:36:56 MDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 7:07 PM, Jonathan Golding wrote:
> When tuning the last octave of the piano's bass section I would
> like to know people's opinions on how they get the best results.
> For me, I find this a tricky area to get consistently good results.
> Some bass strings sound dead whereas others are harsh sounding and
> some have lots of overtones. As well, each piano seems to have a
> different amount of stretch to take into consideration.  When
> tuning the last octave I usually check using the Maj 17th against
> the Maj 10th for approximate equal beating. When I play the octaves
> together harmonically I find that this leaves the last octave
> sounding too high to my ear. Any comments or suggestions? Any
> single partial for this area which could be helpful?

My method of dealing with the bottom octave is to make sure to tune
my octaves going down from the temperament properly. To do this, I
listen very, very intently to the fourths and fifths, using the note
being tuned as the tonic, and sounding the fourth and fifth above.
The fifths should be almost pure---slightly compressed; no
discernible beat: just a very slow, slow swell.

The fourths should be slowly but discernibly rolling (1-2 bps). You
may have to make slight compromises---faster fifths, slower fourths---
at the end of the long bridge---the last notes before the bass break,
usually plain wire notes---but this is an incredibly precise way to
get the octaves stretched custom to the piano you're tuning.

I listen to fourths and fifths all the way down to the last half-
octave, then double and triple octaves. Musicians play in double
octaves in the left hand all the time, so that's how I listen when I
tune.

When done right, the octaves sound incredibly deep and full, almost
but not flat. Deep. As soon as double octaves are available, I use
them as a precision check. Then triple octaves when they become
available; the octaves should sound beatless and full: still.

You have to tune musically; that's the whole point: to please
musicians. Those people with huge ears.

Hope this helps. Follow the fourths, Luke. Trust your body as a
feedback loop.

David A.