Sostenuto wars and tone of discourse

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 18 19:28:52 MDT 2008

At 04:07 PM 7/18/2008, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>Subject: Re: [CAUT] Sostenuto wars and tone of discourse
>Message: 4
>

> > I'll grant you homes. In all other institutional settings
> > time constraints are a constant reality. I would rather not
> > spend the time getting past the sostenuto.
>
>Which is the real reason for all this, because you'd rather not
>spend the time.

That's right Ron. You know why? Because it does not benefit the
client in any way. It does not make the piano sound or play or look
any better. It is unproductive time. It is time spent to benefit
those technicians who are unable or unwilling to deal with an
action-mounted sostenuto on the rare occasions that a sostenuto
actually requires regulation. So I don't care how many homes or
venues there are that no real time pressure exists. I prefer to
charge customers for productive use of my time and not deny them the
use of their piano or space for the sake of logical consistency in
design. When you balance the demand for sostenuto regulation vs. the
demand for damper repairs and the time spent on each the end result
is that a belly-mounted sostenuto is a time-waster - because it
should take no longer to regulate an action-mounted sostenuto than a
belly-mounted one - if one knows the technique.

>Well, it doesn't seem to matter what I say, as none of my points
>seem to have any meaning for you, so I'll give up short of finding
>out what else you'll have me saying that's convenient to you.
>
>Have a nice day,
>Ron N

And that parting shot, Ron, cuts both ways. If you want people to
take your points, sometimes it pays to acknowledge theirs. You do not
have an exclusive on objective reality...

You have a nice day too, or evening, or weekend...

Israel Stein