Rebushing (was Re: Transporting a Grand Action)

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 11:27:39 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>
wrote:

> When you repin, when do you decide to rebush the flange as well.  Unless,
> of course, you damage the bushing during repinning, how do you decide to
> rebush the entire set?
>

> Matthew
>
> *AlliedPianoCraft <AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com>* wrote:
>
> Terry, my only question is..........How do you carry all that on your
> motorcycle?
>
> Al

Hi Matthew,

The only other reasons ( for replacing all of the bushings) would be if the
bushings had been damaged in some way, carpet beetles come to mind. The
other reasons, contamination by oil, water, unkown substances would all
render the wood surrounding it suspect.

I believe in all of those cases the prudent thing would be replacement, I'm
assuming a grand piano here, the hourly cost for you to rebush and repin all
of the existing flanges could exceed the cost of new flanges and perhaps
shanks if they were affected.

I am about to embark on a job like this but it is an 85 note upright, built
in 1875 with a straight strung bass. We restrung it, replaced keytops,
rebushed the keys, replaced the hammers and backchecks. New flanges are not
available, the hammer butts will have to be resized smaller, using
techniques I have been reading about on the list.

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com