[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirements forcontributing/posting; RPT status

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 17 20:43:47 MDT 2008

> IMHO Israel Stein's letter on how people learn or don't learn and why
> was rather illuminating and apropos to this discussion.

That would be the one in where I was personally condemned for
not accepting the status quo of the Steinway sostenuto system,
and presuming to change it rather than just learning to deal
with it?

And being ignorant of the give and take of the formal
educational process, having acquired my apparently sub
standard education outside an institutional setting?

And being myopic in my inability to understand the value of
knowledge acquired from others in a give and take
instructor/student setting?

And screwing up pianos for years as a result of lacking
competent instruction, again, presumably in an institutional
setting?

And one of the worst among the "self taught" in suffering from
the lack of varied perspective of others, universalizing my
own miserable experience, as a result of being unwilling to
listen to anyone else?

You mean that illuminating missive, with the comments of both
parties being attributed to Mr Stein by virtue of lack of
differentiation within the text, and the absence of my own
signature and credit for my own comments?

Ron N