Transporting a Grand Action

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 15:37:31 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I will be transporting a grand action to my shop for hammer resurfacing and
> repinning.  What is the normal procedure for carrying the action from the
> piano in the home, out the door to the car?  Do I just carry it as is, or is
> there a special and more professional way to handle this.  I'm not
> anticipating rain, but I guess I should be prepared for that as well.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> Matthew

Hi Mathew,

I have been doing this work for about 39+ years now and I have to agree with
David Porrit and my fellow Wisconsinite Mike Spalding, I much prefer to do
this sort of work in my shop. Hammer shaping can be messy and repinning is
just uncomfortable if you are doing any sort of volume work, in a customer's
home. The question of lighting, plugins for the vacuum, etc. all have made a
dedicated shop guy.

Of course being 6'4" and weighing in about 280 also is a deciding factor,
I'm more comfortable in my shop that I built for me! <g>

I have no special way of handling a grand action, I just grab each end and
carry it, I dip it down so the hammers don't overextend on the flanges when
I go through a doorway. sideways. When I had my extended cab pickup I placed
it across the back seat, keys to the rear and used a box I carry to wedge
between the key frame and the front seat for stability.
I now have a Scion xB in which the back seat folds down giving me a
semi-flat surface for actions, I wedge them in place with my toolbags.

Mike

--
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch
excellence.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404