explaining concert prep.

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 16:32:33 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:16 AM, <voce88 at aol.com> wrote:

> Good morning list,
>
> We have had a demand from several discerning customers for "concertization"
> or full concert prep. in their homes for their pianos (the most successful
> clients for this service are customers who bought NEW Steinways that were
> never properly serviced). I have never had a dissatisfied client who took
> advantage of this service.
>
> We would like to offer this same service to all of our clients. My
> challenge is in the explanation of exactly what is done in a coherent, but
> simple language.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Rich Galassini
> Cunningham Piano Company
>

>  ------------------------------
> The Famous, the Infamous, the Lame - in your browser. Get the TMZ Toolbar
> Now <http://toolbar.aol.com/tmz/download.html?NCID=aolcmp00050000000014>!

Hello Richard,

It has been my experience, let me hasten to explain that experience does not
include a Steinway dealer, that most dealerships do not optimize their
grands because of simple economics. The time it would take for a technician
to fully regulate a grand piano to most manufacturer's specifications just
isn't in the budget, especially when the piano may be on the sales floor for
up to a couple of years.

I have had customers who, only after the fact became dissatisfied with their
own piano, after playing another and realizing theirs could be better or
knowledgable customers who bought their pianos with the full knowledge that
they would have to pay for the proper regulating of the instrument once
delivered. 3 cases in point 2 Bostons and a Kawai RX-5, the first Boston was
fine for the customer until the 8th year when the regulation was getting
very ragged, I regulated it and she was amazed at the light touch. The 2nd
Boston was for a church a gentleman on the board was knowledgable enough to
have them plan on regulating it 6 weeks after delivery. The Kawai was a man
who got into Steinway in NY and palyed some of those then wanted his Kawai
to play like them.

Mike

--
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch
excellence.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404