summer sharpness in low tenor

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Wed Jul 16 02:47:18 MDT 2008

    Yes, it has been observed often by many techs that the strings with the longer lengths from upper bearing point (pressure bar, capo, agraffe) to tuning pin go out of tune to a lesser degree than those with the shorter upper "waste end."  (or is it the other way around?)
    Anyhow, I think that's only one factor.  Despite our best efforts to set the pin and equalize the various string segments, they're probably never 100% stable and equalized, and there's always that tension trying to make them go flat, so when case, board, and bridges expand or contract, the three strings of each unison (or two) don't necessarily move the exact same amounts.  And we know how little it takes to put a slight "meow" in a unison.
    --David Nereson, RPT