summer sharpness in low tenor

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 15 09:47:13 MDT 2008

> OK you've convinced me.  Ergo, if the piano is scaled such that all strings
> are at the same BP%, pitch changes that accompany swings in humidity should
> be much more uniform.
>
> David Love

Yes, and some pianos look to be scaled with bp% priority at
the expense of tension and Z discontinuities at the breaks.

I think less than extreme bp% discontinuities aren't
particularly problematic unless the low end is too low. For
instance, a 50% to 35% change across a break isn't nearly as
disastrous as a 40% to 25% change. Like that 50%+ to 23% break
in the Steinway B.

Ron N