Customizing of a piano DECAL - Is the decal genuine?

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 13 15:09:44 MDT 2008

I have been following this thread with great interest; the subject of
authentic decals, as well as parts,
(as Ron and Greg seemed to have just stumbled upon here),  is a fascinating
new development in this
thread. Up until now, it seems, no one has questioned whether the decal
itself is genuine or not!

As David Love so astutely noted a few posts back, it is really the decal,
after all, that creates the
authentic Steinway sound.

And as Ron has so astutely just asked, "is it a Genuine Steinway Decal, (-or
one from some other
source?")

Do you realize, this could explain, once and for all, why certain Steinways
don't sound like Steinways?

Consider now: What are the consequences and implications of putting a
non-genuine Steinway
decal on a genuine Steinway part, or piano?

(Greg candidly admits that this is a D.U. decal. -Name abbreviated to
protect D.U.)

Is Steinway monitoring this forum? Maybe they should be.

Why should D.U. be allowed to make copies (knock-offs!) of Genuine Steinway
Decals? And to have
technicians routinely placing them on Genuine Steinway parts, on Genuine
Steinway pianos, with
impunity? The little warning note placed in the box along with the decal
focuses all the attention on the
moral turpitude of putting the decal on a non-Steinway part or piano, but
deviously and cleverly, says
nothing about the fact that it is not a GENUINE STEINWAY DECAL!

(And why such exorbitant prices for the D.U. decals? Is there a kickback to
Steinway here? Sort of a
royalty payment?)

Hmmmm. There's an concept. Perhaps with the property royalty payment to
Steinway we could all be
producing authentic Genuine Steinway Parts, or Pianos.

-Just like Mapes. Or Kawai. Or Young Chang....

;-).

~Kendall Ross Bean

PianoFinders
www.pianofinders.com <http://www.pianofinders.com/>
e-mail: kenbean at pianofinders.com

Connecting Pianos and People

> Just bought a Steinway fallboard decal and it comes with the warning that
if

> it is not for a Steinway you must send the decal back and not use it.
Blah,

> blah, blah.

> Greg Newell

Well then there you go. Did you get it from Steinway?

Ron N