Hitch Pin Replacement Question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 13 09:21:20 MDT 2008

>    I wish to upgrade the quality of my restorations by installing new
> hitch pins (frankly strictly for cosmetic reasons). Perhaps some of you
> are doing this already. More power to you.
>    My first question of one of removal of the original pins. Getting the
> ones out that serve the long bridge from the backside of the plate via a
> drift punch and hammer seems straightforward enough. The problem arises
> on Steinway (and other) plates, however, where the hitch pins for the
> bass section do not protrude through the casting. These can not be
> driven out from the back. How can they be easily/successfully removed?
>
>    David G. Hughes, RPT

If there's a way to pull them effectively, I haven't found it
yet. If you do, let me know, will you? There is this though,
and it does work. Make a rubbing of the bass hitches, and poke
through the paper at each hitch. Try your impact puller on
pins until you get a couple to come out, preferably one at
each end. Drill these holes through, flip the plate over,
locate the upside down pattern on the holes, mark the other
hole locations, and drill slightly larger holes down at the
appropriate angle to intersect the blind holes. Locating the
pattern on the through holes with long bits gives you a sight
angle. Then punch them out. There's a ton of iron in most bass
risers, so you aren't giving up anything important in
strength, and there's not much breeze under there, so they
won't whistle - and the mice won't tell.
Ron N