Tuning a Kawai Grand RX-2

AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 12 11:58:42 MDT 2008

Jon Page wrote:

  I don't have faith in pounding. My money is on hammer technique/pin setting.

  I agree. As I said in my initial email " I am not a proponent of excessive pounding", but when I set to pin it the treble as I usually do and give a firm test blow it goes right out, so I must set with firm blows.

John Formsma wrote,

Maybe try tuning the treble twice?

When I'm finished it's solid. Both I and the customers tests it with firm playing and it's fine.

How badly do the unisons go out in a week's time?

Enough to be heard by someone with a decent ear.

Are the temperature and humidity constant?

Mostly yes, but this last time the humidity went from 38% rm to 52% rm, but it usually doesn't move that much.

Any A/C blowing on the piano?  Any lights on during recording that are not on while you're tuning?

NO & NO.

A Piano Life Saver system with undercover (and possibly string cover) would be a necessity in that particular situation.

Yes, I'm sure that would help, but I think it's a problem at the capo. It feels like the string is not moving smoothly. When I do a rebuilding, I polish the Capo 'till it's like glass. Does anyone think that would help?

Ron N wrote,

are the strings going out going flat or sharp, or some of each?

Due to the rise in humidity since the last tuning, the piano went about 3.5 cents sharp throughout, but quite evenly. I didn't pay much attention to troublesome unisons in the treble, but I will see when I go back to touch it up in two week. In the past the temp & hum have been very constant and I was still having the problem in the treble.

If any *ever* go sharp, what earthly use would settling coils or stretching strings be?

I agree.

Al Guecia