Tuning a Kawai Grand RX-2

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Sat Jul 12 11:15:34 MDT 2008

Is this a new Kawai?  I work on a lot of Kawais both at the university and for the local dealer.  In my experience new Kawais tend to take longer to settle and become stable then other pianos, sometimes up to two years.  Once stable, however, they become one of the most stable pianos anywhere, period.  If it's new you may just need to give it a little time.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  List,

  I have a customer with a Kawai Grand RX-2. I am having a problem in the 2 treble sections. As I have stated on this list, I am not a proponent of excessive pounding, but it's what I must do on this piano to gain any tuning stability. At the last tuning I applied some Protec on the treble strings at the Capo with just a little improvement, but not nearly what I would like. This customer is using this piano to record a CD and needs it to stay in perfect tune. I must go and touch-up the treble about once a month. Any thoughts on this?

  Al Guecia