turning a Grand upright

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 10:09:12 MDT 2008

At 05:52 -0400 12/7/08, Phil Bondi wrote:

>When a grand is tipped upright, historically, it is tipped from a
>skid, which sits...4-6" above the floor. Would it not make sense to
>get this little piano onto a skid first, then tip it? Without the
>skid, I'm losing that 4-6" of tip, and the 3rd leg is the first
>contact point, no?

Really, Phil, it's not worth the extra bother, though you could raise
it on two pieces of 4 x 4 covered with carpet to make that first
heave easier -- but that gives you two extra heaves before you start!
I usually start with the piano resting on two covered blocks, but
that's often because I put them there with the fork-lift truck.

>I have helped on quite a few moves, and have almost always used the
>lyre as a fulcrum point. To date, I have had 0 incidents.

Nor have I in 30 years ever since a Dutch colleague showed me how to
do it; and as to the danger of upsetting the regulation, I'd like to
know how you put a permanent bend or even a temporary bend in a
key-bottom braced with a bottom spar and firmly attached to the belly
rail.

JD