String noises revisited

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 11 19:38:28 MDT 2008

Allen-

We need protocols to diagnose longitudinal mode and agraffe noise.

If I understand Jim Ellis' book, in a 7 foot grand piano, longitudinal mode noises will tend to occur in octave 3, and they will tend almost always to be at or near the frequency of the 15th partial. There will probably be a slight delay after the attack and before the sound develops. If you make slight changes in the pitch of the string, the longitudinal mode sound will not change pitch, but will disappear when the pitch has changed such that the modes that excite the longitudinal mode are outside of its resonance band.

Since the longitudinal mode is excited by the combined energies of the 7th and 8th partials, if you can excite the string at the 1/8th or 1/7th point of its length, the longitudinal mode should be significantly less.

For agraffe noises, I've found that inserting  a screwdriver between the strings behind the agraffe, and turning it slightly, will sometimes make the sound clear up, in which case shoving a little wedge of hard leather between the strings can clear up the noise.

There must be some other agraffe diagnosis techniques short of replacing the agraffe to see if it makes it better.

Ed Sutton