turning a Grand upright

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 14:49:35 MDT 2008

At 16:03 -0400 11/7/08, Phil Bondi wrote:

>Someone has moved into town, and the movers left the grand piano on
>its side without a skid board.
>
>They left it on a piece of cardboard to protect the hardwood floor.
>That was nice of them.
>
>I have an idea on how to get it set up, but I wanted to run this by
>all of you first.
>
>How would you do it?
>
>-Phil Bondi(Fl)
>
>PS - I will not be doing this alone.

You could, though.  Put on legs 2 and 3 and the lyre, not omitting
the strut.  Place a hassock or a 2" block of something covered with
something soft so that the bass side of the lyre will contact it when
the piano is tipped.  Tip the piano over on to the hassock.  Lift the
piano by the bass cheek till it is standing on the bass side of the
lyre bottom and the two legs.  Put on leg 1.  Lift ditto to remove
the hassock.

When I was younger I would do this alone.  We nearly always do it
this way and have never had a lyre break, but don't do it without
looking at the lyre first!

JD