Young Chang lyre supports buzzing

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 22:29:10 MDT 2008

I have a number of grand pianos built by Young Chang that I service that have the same trouble.  The lyre support brackets vibrate or buzz with some frequencies when the piano is played.  When all of the screws are tightened, there is too much play in the hinge.  This is most often causing noise at the top of the lyre support, but sometimes at the bottom too.  Sympathetic vibrations are always a pain, but I do not know how to fix these.

This week, I removed a pair of them to repair,  First, I tried hitting the pin with a ball peen hammer with the other end on an anvil, but it only made it flatter outside of the hinge area.  Previously, I have tried wrapping some yarn around it, but it did not last.  I have considered squeezing the bracket around the pin, but is looks like cast metal and I am afraid it might just break.

There are tons of Young Changs out there.  What are you all doing to keep the lyre support brackets from vibrating along with the music?  I can't be the only one having trouble with these!  Help me!  Please!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter