Muffler Hardware

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 16:40:39 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know where to get some hardware for the Quiet Keys System you
> commonly find on Yamaha U-1's?  I am just talking about the wingnut that
> goes on the bass side, and the two little screws that go on the treble side,
> that are used to connect the actual muffler bar.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Matthew

Hi Mathew,

Necessity is the mother of invention, somebody famous once said!

For a fairly simple repair such as you mention a little re-engineering in
the form of new hardware eg. screws, bolts, wingnuts that all fit one
another and cost most probably 1 or 2 dollars collectively. It would save
you those extra trips to the hardware store, the time waiting for Yamaha to
send it to you and up your how-to for the next one!

This is what I try to point out to and teach the newbies in our chapter,
it's not always necessary to re-invent the wheel, just observe how it works
or is supposed to work then formulate a plan to fix it. While you are
performing that plan, we'll call it plan A, formulate plan B just in case
plan A doesn't work as well as you thought it would. If you have to use plan
B you are ready for it and as you are performing it formulate plan C, etc.
etc. I personally have reached plan F on a few occasions.

My point is it can save you that trip back, make you look like a hero, to
your customer and not leave that bitter taste of frustration with you.

By all means listen to Tom and the others and go hang around a good
old-fashioned hardware store and learn about screws, phillips, torx,
slotted, squaredrive, whether they are roundhead, ovalhead or flathead and
the difference between them and a bolt or machine screw, sheetmetal screw or
woodscrew.
<grin>

Mike

--
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch
excellence.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404