shop made pin blocks

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 07:45:45 MDT 2008

?Hi Kendall
??We have made our own blocks for some time now & I'm refining the process
?? I?sent these as attachments in another post but without descriptions. duh!
? I'm building a simple glue press to laminate the planks of Maple into a pinblock structure.
?I'm Modifying a steel table?on wheels with a? very heavy?butcher block base?as my press deck.? The upper steel grid piece suspended over it will have a plywood face & 13 fire hose assembly's will be attached to that. When the five pieces of substrate are glued up the top piece with the firehose deck is lowered down & locked in place. Add air pressure & out comes a beautiful flat double panel of Erwin's & Sons pinblock ?material. Five minutes?you're done as we say.
? I laminate?all the pieces?on the? same table with other fixtures. SO it's a dedicated work station.
??Once its' up a running it will eliminate using every hand clamp in the shop to do this & the uniform pressure is insurance?for the best possible glue joint.
??By the way the Butcher block came from Carl Meyers estate, so he's still working.
? We will offer?our blocks?for sale at some point and in any configuration you wish.? E-mail me privately if interested.

View full size

?? Pieces of fire hose are cut out and layed on the deck. I'll also be able to use this to glue anything that requires pressure & can be fit with?in it's confines.

View full size

? Montana...The ever vigiliant shop dog is inspecting things
? Dale Erwin

View full size