Nature of tuning pins, why technicians prefer blue

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 04:09:50 MDT 2008

I've been reading this thread with interest. One thing that has not been mentioned is the steel hardness of different tuning pins brands. I agree with Dave N. that Diamonds are the best specially for uniformity. And they are also the hardest on the Rockwell tests.

I find this is something that bothers me a lot when tuning new pianos with tight pins. The pins will twist before they turn in the block. I've measured over 40¢ dofference with just pin twisting before I could feel them turn in the block. Of course, the fact that some manufacturers use #0 tuning pins doesn't help.

So, for me actual performance is more important than looks. This is the point I wanted to add to this discussion.

Marcel Carey,
Sherbrooke, QC