Nature of tuning pins

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Jul 9 03:44:05 MDT 2008

? Hi Kendall
? Our pin of choice are Blued, Diamond brand pins. On occasions we
use the Japanese pins.? The difference for us is that the Diamond
Blued pins clearly have a cut thread that is not blued over & they
are far more consistent in true size.? The Nippon Denro typically run
on average .002 smaller than the stated size, which can be a good
thing when repinning an original block that doens't need a true sized
pin.? They also make a 3 1/2 size pin.? Nifty aye?
? The diamond nickel /chrome plated pins appear to have had the
threads cut & then plated?over which I dislike & don't trust this
though I ahve used them at one time.
? For my Shop made 1/4 cut maple blocks I've had the best uniform fit
from the Diamond made pins.
? For years Trix miked all the pins in a set & put the largest in the
bass & smallest in the trebles. Finding something truly round is
about as consistent as finding something truly straight.? Just try
running a micrometer on a few sets and on differing points on the pin
& you'll see. It's a good thing wood is pliable & forgiving.
?? My friends once had a set of the Diamond that was oblong/out of
round?but to my knowledge this was the only one we've ever heard of.
This anomaly occurred during the time when we mic'd every pin...
every set.? ughh.? SO diamonds are? more expensive but not when you
consider we don't mic pins very often anymore?& they are as reliable
as any we've tried
??

?regards
--