Keyframe Bedding

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 14:08:36 MDT 2008

Dale  writes:

<<  I like to set the keybed/keyframe contact with keys off & action
screwed to frame (as per Yamaha) so I can really understand the unloaded strength of
the keyframe I am working with. >>

Greetings,
   I think I get better results when I bed the keyframe alone, then set the
action on it and shim any feet that are not on the cleats. This precludes any
internal flex, and I believe,  can make the action bedding less climate
sensitive, ie, if there is a gap between the action and its footing, screwing them
together creates a stress between the wood and the metal, in effect, a spring.
The metal is not going to fatigue so the wood will constantly work with
changes in humidity.
    I have done it this way many times (going on 25 years of watching lots of
my rebuilds), and I see stable results at the school between seasons .  It is
more labor intensive, but, I have found that long term returns make it a good
investment.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos