Keyframe Bedding

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Jul 8 00:10:25 MDT 2008

Requesting a little perspective:
What are the deficiencies of the Steinway method of setting glide bolts?

Establishing the practical parameters of frame
bedding, once I've established defined contact to
effectively preclude any knocking, how much
additional stress could I introduce into the
system before beginning to observe negative effects?  :
         - increased resistance of una corda shift
         - premature squeaking at glide contact
         - increase in friction and wear of
keyblock plates and frame guide pins
         - change in keydip, aftertouch,
         - create knocking at front rail or back rail

Regarding dags:
         - are dags essential to proper function
of the action? i.e.: would back rail [necessarily] slap in their absence?
         - how much force (at glide bolt) would
be required to compromise otherwise firm contact
of back rail, to the point where        firm capture by dag is required?
         - if the dags are used to compensate for
insufficient care in back rail bedding, then wear
and seasonal variation could         allow for
the slap of Jude's observation.  (another cause
could be flat, un-arched front to back profile).

I'm not sure that Andre's tuning fork analogy is
operational here.  I would need to hear a more thorough explanation.

I do love finding new uses for my
caliper.  Especially fond of them in key leveling.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY