plate repair fees

Rob & Helen Goodale rhgoodale at embarqmail.com
Mon Jul 7 23:29:31 MDT 2008

A futile quandary.  One of my fellow tech associates formerly subscribed to the list has asked for some feedback.

A client has a Henry F. Miller grand which has a cracked plate strut.  The owner knows the piano isn't worth rebuilding and ultimately plans to replace it, but might be interested in repairing it temporarily.  What my colleague and I are discussing is using the cold-fix Lock-N-Stitch screws which have had a tremendous success rate.  I would guess the repair process would take about an hour but would also require lowering and then raising the tension on the piano.  In this type situation I would not ever consider placing any warranties on such a job.  The customer understands but is considering trying it anyway.

We were contemplating what to charge the owner for this service.  Aside from the labor time there is a certain degree of "specialty services" that I think apply above and beyond a normal hourly rate.  Any thoughts?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV