Knowing list members - re: long posts

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Jul 6 18:18:43 MDT 2008

Avery -
I agree.  I would adapt, maybe, if I had to, but
I am presently totally wedded to the way I use
Eudora to organize the list. Over the last 1 1/2
years, I'd say that 98% are under 20 (K, I
presume). The largest 3 were sent by David Love,
but who's counting.  Most of the time, it's a
fairly short response tacked on to a series of
Other times, it seems like an effort to trace an
on-going conversation to make a point.  Maybe a
friendly reminder can be generated when a
perpetrator errs. Sort of what John Delacour ,
Ron N, and Stéphane Collin did. Gentle reminders
should take care of most of it.  At some point
though, the question of how much of the previous
post seems necessary to quote becomes a
subjective call.  Since I don't use the archives
regularly, or receive posts as a (what's it
called?), I don't know the impact of extended quoting there.
After that, the question becomes, how much of the
present post should have been deleted before sending, as in, not adding much.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY