multi-tuners in institutions

joel a. jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Sun Jul 6 14:09:47 MDT 2008

List,
May I  add a few ideas that I used at UW-Mazdison for those interested
in
multi-tuner institutions.
	1. Around this time of year as some major rebuilding was in progress
the techs and student workers got together and made a schedule of tuning
for the Fall Semester.  As mentioned by others concert, faculty,
practice room tunings
were ranked by priority.
	2. Dates were assigned and each studio was sent a note that their
piano(s)
would be tuned on XX at XXXX.  If there were any conflicts let me know
ASAP.
	3. Concert hall tunings, rehearsal halls, and classrooms were booked
on the
Music Master Schedule.

I found this schedule worked for several reasons.
	A. As faculty made their class and teaching schedules they know what
times
they are teaching and can write in the tuning date & time.
	B. The time in the halls and classrooms were MINE.  No messing with
"Oh I
need to practice... etc. etc.
	C. For practice rooms we took the key to the room off the desk in the
morning, and
when the piano was tuned, regulated, repaired , and cleaned it would be
put back on the desk.

Students and Faculty adopted this scheduling much faster than I
anticipated.  Instead of
having comments that "I will be out of my studio this afternoon will
you tune my piano?"  I would
hear "The piano needs tuning, but you are scheduled in two weeks so
I'll leave you a
note about the problems" . Plus,  almost everyone removed their music,
papers, and
filing system from the piano.

There are a few more systems that made it all happen, but this is the
centerpiece of
the operation.  Most of my 30+ years tenure I was the only tuner
assisted by several
workstudy students who cleaned, regulated and looked after removing
pencils,
music, and engagement rings from pianos.

Maybe more than you asked for, but be kind to one happily retired CAUT.
Keep in Tune.

Joel
Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WI