Real Customizing of a piano

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sat Jul 5 14:32:55 MDT 2008

>Is it still a Steinway after making these changes? I certainly hope not, or
>we've wasted considerable time and money trying to make them better.
Ouch! Ron, your point is very well made, and it is always a pleasure to read
your great sarcasm and wit. I love many of the 'other' brands of pianos, I'm
a huge fan of Mehlins and Webers and Conovers and a huge PA Stark upright I
know of and Bechwith, and Decker and Everett, and on and on. I'm not just
bowing down to the Steinway name here, well maybe I am, it's just that there
is a very distinct Steinway sound that seems unique to me that does not
disappear regardless of what is changed on the piano, it also does not seem
to appear in other pianos regardless of re-design efforts.
That being said, I do have an extra S&S decal, and , well, it might be worth
at least trying one on an old Kurtzman.
Fenton