Real Customizing of a piano

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sat Jul 5 01:10:31 MDT 2008

List,
 I'd like to throw out a question. I've now built 4 bellies myself.
I have seen several Steinways that have been very highly modified.
Consider a completely different soundboard design, scale design, a totally different approach to hammer design and installation, to say nothing of damper, action and key re-design. While these design changes all play a part in bringing out a new voice to an old piano, I always am able to very clearly hear a Steinway in there, the Steinway soul is still there, it's as though it can be tweaked, but not changed (who'd want to?). Sooo, what makes a Steinway sound like a Steinway? Did it Usta-B a Steinway, or is it still? I think that it still very much is, more of the original timbre and tone remains than is replaced.
Even the rim and plate are changed, what with treble dams and aliquot and duplex mods, plate mounting, etc, etc. It seems that the design of everything can be changed, and we still have the wonderful Steinway.
And why can no other piano be made to sound like one? (Dale, I'd like to hear that Henry Miller with the B belly.)
Thank you, list, for taking my questions. I'll now take my answers off the air.

None of this is meant to be pro or con design changes in vintage Steinways, please, let's not go there.
Fenton