Customising a piano

johndelmore at suddenlink.net johndelmore at suddenlink.net
Thu Jul 3 23:27:19 MDT 2008

Lord, you old coots need to quit pickin' on that girl!!  It's just a shame that you've forgotten 95% of what you knew when you were twenty!!

Myself, I'm a babe in the woods at 43, and only been muckin' around with pianos for three or four years, and Bosie ain't taught me a thing!!

But, I have been a chemist for twenty years.  And the Hoppe's oil is very likely made practically in my backyard, at Calumet.  In my CHEMICALLY professional opinion, it's not nearly as bad as using WD-40 or 'three-in-one' or most of the other horrid things that people try.  But it's not optimal.  It will break down, but so will everything else (teflon, perhaps, excluded...unless you're playing that piano on Venus).  The biggest problem I see from the MSDS is that it has added fragrances.  That's evil.  The best solution, from a chemical standpoint, and IMHO (sorry for the 'text-speak'...LOL...aw, heck, I did it again!!) for the piano, is to size the bushings properly with heat, water and methanol (all of which GO AWAY) and whatever reaming is necessary.

Alicia, you're obviously a strong, talented and opinionated woman.  Nothing wrong with that.  You'll likely put some "artists" in their place some day.  But I've seen the "old greybeards" learn stuff on this list...

The key word is "professional".

A Happy Fourth:  life, liberty and happiness to you all, and those you love!!

John