Customizing a piano

holly quigley hollyquigley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 15:43:08 MDT 2008

What Paul said. You know, there is a piano "tech" group on Myspace that is
filled with younger "kids" (I use that term for age, and/or years of
experience). They seem to love making snap-judge remarks about makes of
pianos, it's a group filled with lively "debate," and tons of innovative
ideas no one's ever tried before, like using oil as a lubricant. It might be
a more appropriate place for this kind of thing.

People generally post on the ptg mailing list to get actual advice, in the
spirit of humility and accepting that there are others (many, many others),
who know more than oneself. When someone reminds you of that, it's not
because we need proof that you are any good (that's what the RPT exams are
for?). This is a grown-up list, (for the most part ;). Which means even when
we disagree, many of us (maybe not all), at least try to be polite and
professional about it, both in words and tone. As someone else mentioned
previously, this is also a public list. Which means whatever vitriol and/or
wackiness a person might spew is out there in the internet indefinitely. But
it also means anyone who might prefer searching and lurking can poke their
heads in here and get the wrong ideas on how to service pianos. Lucky that
our older and wiser techs are quick to correct and answer questions on such
a public forum.

--
Peace and Light,

Holly Quigley