private-off list

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Jul 3 17:26:55 MDT 2008

Thanks, Dale – you are a kind soul.  I can’t take any credit for it though.  This piano had been beating up on me something fierce with the voicing, hours and hours of it.  Every  time I needled, it would get better, but I felt like I was reaching for something I wasn’t getting.  I had a customer in my store who liked the piano, BUT can you…. You know the drill.  He had driven up to N. H. from New York, and was staying in a hotel nearby.  I sent him away for the evening and tried these techniques which I had read about in an article about Ulrich Gerhard, Steinway London’s chief concert technician.  Instant transformation to this utterly gorgeous thing of humbling beauty.  As Dr. Frankenstein said, “It’s alive, it’s alive, IT’S ALIVE!!!”.

So thank Ulrich for sharing this tip in his interview.

I just spent the last 3 days up in Dalton, New Hampshire (up in the North Country, where the air is still clean, and sex is still dirty) regulating and voicing a Steinway B rebuilt by my hero Willis Snyder in 1973.  What an honor and privilege to work on an instrument done by someone I admire so much and from whom I have learned so much.   What a gorgeous piano – really understated and elegant, lots of color yet bright and clear.  The melody line just stands right up, and there is no killer octave!  Every note sings until the cows come home and go back out again at dawn.  Beautiful, clear soft playing.  Baldwin hammers from that time that sounded just great on this instrument.

I needled to take the edge of the brightness and pull a bit more sustain out the hammers.  I love it when you have a great piano and everything you do just makes it get better and better.  You do something and the piano smiles back at you.

I wasn’t there to change the piano – I didn’t want to and it didn’t need it.  I only wanted to buff back up the luster that was already there.

The customer was a French piano teacher in her early seventies – great lady.  The first morning I was there working, a bear came out of the woods and she stood about 2 feet away from it and fed it some seeds.  Beautiful 150 lb. black bear.  Of course, a spectacular view of the Presidential Range of the White Mountains in the background.

The customer was thrilled when I was done, and gave me a fat check and a big smile.  Life is good…..

Will